You’re all decked out with your backpack and other travelling essentials, but what living in London must have items are you going to need? It’s hard to know before you get here, so I’ve put together a simple list of living in London must have items for you to pick up once you arrive.
Living In London Must Have Items
- London Guidebook – Lonely Planet may be the masters, but there are plenty of players when it comes to the London guidebook arena. If you are into food and drink then Time Out do some fabulous guides, or the Secret Guide To Unusual London may be more your bag. Luckily there are loads to choose from, so take your pick!
- Oyster Card – An absolute must. Will save you a fortune compared to paper tickets and you can conveniently top-up in person at a station or online. You can also register your card in case you lose it, and it will allow you to travel on all London tube, train, light rail and bus services.
- London A-Z Map Book – You won’t survive here without one, and they are just the right size to pop in your bag or back pocket everywhere you go. It lists all London streets in easy to navigate maps and will have you whizzing around like a local in no time
- Umbrella – Take it from Rihanna, you are definitely going to need an umbrella in London. Get one small enough that you can carry it everywhere, because you never know when you’re going to need it!
- A UK Sim Card – Once you’ve settled into life as a Londoner you’re going to need to be able to be contacted by other Londoners you meet through work or out and about. You might choose to either go on a 1 or 24 month contract in which case you will receive a brand new phone, or if you have an unlocked phone from home, you can buy a UK pay as you go sim that you can then use to top up as you need it.