So, you’ve decided to move to London but have no idea where to start? Don’t worry, you are not alone! Moving abroad can seem overwhelming at times when there are so many things to do, but it needn’t be stressful with my Moving To London Checklist. I’ve covered everything you need to take care of – From months before your leaving date right up until you are ready to board the plane and start your new London life.
Grab a pen and start ticking!
Moving To London Checklist – 12-3 months before take off
- Check that your passport is valid – you will need it to have at least 6 months validity for you to travel and apply for any visas, so make sure it covers you for the time you’ll be away
- Apply for your visa
- Start looking for cheap London flights and research when there may be good deals on sale
Moving To London Checklist – 3 months before take off
- Book your flights and any short term accommodation in London 0r for any stopovers on your way
- Organise travel insurance
- Take a trip to your GP to get any medications/health checks you need before taking off
- Make photocopies of your passport and visa and give one copy to family at home and take one with you to be kept seperately from the originals, just in case you lose your belongings
- If you are renting, give notice on your house and make any necessary arrangements for your moving day
- If you own your own home, start advertising for someone to rent it out, if needed
- Depending on how long you plan on going away for, sell anything that you are not taking with you such as cars or furniture. If you’re not gone for too long, ask friends or family to take care of it for you while you’re away
- If you are leaving for a long period, think about giving ‘power of attorney’ over your financial affairs to a family member while you are away
Moving To London Checklist -1 month before take off
- Cancel your utilities in advance – electricity, gas, oil, water, telephone (also your mobile) and internet
- Cancel your subscription to any clubs, magazines or newspapers
- Close your bank accounts if you are planning on leaving for a long period. If not, let them know you are going away and will be withdrawing money from abroad
- Give your new address (if known) to your friends and family
- Redirect your mail through the Post Office
- Pay all outstanding bills and loans
- Buy anything you need for your trip – suitcase, clothes, guidebooks
- Throw a leaving do to make sure you’re remembered while you’re away
- Order any foreign currency if you would like to have this before you leave
Moving To London Checklist – 1 day before take off
- Pack your bags and check you have all necessary documents including passport and visa. Check out the suitcases at Antler if you fancy some great new gear for your trip.
- Print your boarding pass, any maps and information on how to get to your accommodation when you arrive
- GET EXCITED – You’re moving to London!